Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Slow Cooked BBQ Baby Back Ribs


I don't eat pork or beef.  I haven't since I was 12.  Before you get all in a tizzy, I am not doing it for any other reason, than I am not a fan, and I had high cholesterol when I was young and it was an easy way to cut some cholesterol from my diet.  I don't miss it one bit.  I use turkey sausage and ground turkey for most of my cooking and it does just fine.

That being said, though my husband is wonderful and patient and eats poultry repeatedly without complaint, every now and then he gets a hankering.  Usually he will satisfy it when we go out to eat, but he also likes to get salmon then, because we can't have that at home as a family (though we love it), because one of my little ones is allergic.  A few weeks ago, he said he wanted to make ribs.  I suddenly felt so guilty, because in almost 13 years of marriage I can count on one hand how many times I have prepared beef or pork for him.  So, I promised to make him ribs.  And I did.  And they were not cooked enough and were a flop.  I felt awful.

I wanted to try and again and last night I did!  And SUCCESS!!  He loved them, and so did everyone else.  My parents were visiting and my dad said they were among the best he has ever had!!  And he's old!!  ;-)
The BBQ sauce is also awesome on chicken, which I ate.  Enjoy!!


SLOW COOKED BBQ BABY BACK RIBS
dry rub recipe adapted from : alton-brown

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 rack of ribs
DRY RUB:
  • 4 TBSP brown sugar
  • 1 TBSP sea salt
  • 1/2 TBSP chili powder
  • 1/4 tsp. black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 tsp. dry mustard
  • 1/4 tsp. smoked paprika
  • 1/4 tsp thyme
  • 1/4 tsp onion powder
  • 1/4 tsp. old bay seasoning
For SAUCE:
  • 1 shallot diced fine
  • 2-3 cloves garlic
  • 1 tsp. oil
  • 1/2 cup BBQ sauce (I used part sweet BBQ, and part smokey)
  • 1 TBSP honey
  • 1 tsp worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tsp vinegar
  • 2 TBSP white wine
  • 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
DIRECTIONS:
Mix all of the dry rub ingredients in a bowl.  You will use about half.  Store the rest in a baggie for next time.  Score the under membrane (silver skin) of the ribs down each rib, or remove the silver skin.  Rub the dry rub into both sides of the ribs well.  Place in foil tightly and return to refrigerator for at least an hour (I did 4 hrs, but best if 24 hours.)
Preheat the oven to 250 or 275.   Place ribs in pan or on cook sheet, still covered or wrapped in foil, and bake for 4.5-6 hrs. (I did 5.5 hours and they were fall off the bone and perfect) About an hour before serving, in a saucepan, place oil, shallot and garlic.  Cook for 2-3 minutes.  Dump in the wine, then add all other sauce ingredients and cook over med. heat until thick and syrupy.  Set aside when done (will continue to thicken as it cools).  About 10 minutes before serving, unwrap ribs and slather the sauce on both sides.  Will be falling apart, so be careful. Put under broiler on low for a 5-10 minutes, watching carefully, to caramelize the sauce and crisp up the ribs.

No comments:

Post a Comment