Friday, March 23, 2012

Zucchini Bites


TGIF.  This has been such a long week...  the last few weeks were shortened for us because we had visitors and then we went to Florida.  Short weeks make normal weeks feel like they go on f-o-r-e-v-e-r!!!   Has your own voice rang ever rung in your ears, and you think, "Where did that shrill voice come from?  Who was that?  Oh, wait, it was me?  Do I really sound like that?".  And then you look at your kids faces and see the horror and feel bad, not only because your own voice is getting on your nerves, but that your kids have to listen to it too.  "But, they drove me to it... right?" I say as my 2 year old sings at the top of his lungs in the other room. 


To the food.   These little cuties are delicious and  I downed I think about half of them, and I felt very little guilt for it.  My kids also ate them, was the first thing my little one ate.  I was a happy girl that they come together so quickly.  These will be on the ;menu again for shire.  They are tasty, quick and easy and make a great side dish but would also make a fabulous appetizer. 


 

ZUCCHINI BITES
Recipe adapted: the curious country cook
yields: 12 mini muffins

INGREDIENTS:

  • 1 cups zucchini, grated
  • 1 egg, plus 1 egg white
  • 1/4 of a red onion, diced, or a large shallot
  • 1/4 cup cheese (sharp cheddar or Parmesan work the best)
  • 1/4 cup bread crumbs - I used Italian style
  • Salt and Pepper


DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 400F. Spray a mini-muffin tin with non-stick spray, set aside.  Grate the zucchini and then place in a dish towel to squeeze out the excess water- like when using frozen spinach, Or I just grabbed handfuls and squeezed it out over the sink.
In a bowl combine, the egg, onion, cheese, bread crumbs, zucchini, salt and pepper.
Using a spoon or a cookie scoop, fill the muffin cups to the top. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the top is browned and set.

No comments:

Post a Comment