Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Creamy Chicken Marsala Pasta


I am one of those people that finds something they like at a restaurant and orders the same thing every time I go.  I find a good thing, (like my husband) and stick with it.  I had a creamy chicken Marsala pasta dish at Olive Garden and actually liked it.  Normally, I hate that place, but this dish was actually pretty good.  I made my version of it last spring at some point and did not blog it because I was in a hurry.  I hate it when I do that, because I can't ever exactly remember what I did to make it so good.  Lucky for me, this dish was as I remembered it last time I made it.  I love the sauce and found I wanted to lick my plate.  Maybe I did... don't judge.

This dish is quick...  started it when I put the water on for the pasta, and by the time the pasta was done, my chicken and sauce were waiting for it.  My kids, though not fans of shrooms, liked this pasta and my older 2 even downed the shrooms.  I mean, they were smothered in a sweet and creamy sauce.  What's not to like? Easy, peasy, sleazy... oh wait, I meant delicious.

CREAMY CHICKEN MARSALA PASTA

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 lb. chicken, sliced in large chunks or medallions
  • 1/3 cup flour seasoned with salt and pepper
  • 5-6 cloves garlic
  • 1-2 TBSP olive oil
  • 1 TBSP butter, divided
  • 1 shallot, diced fine
  • 1 cup Marsala wine
  • 1/3 cup cream
  • 1 TBSP cornstarch
  • 2 TBSP fresh parsley
  •  salt and pepper
  • 1/4 cup Parmesan plus more for finishing
  • 1 lb. pasta
DIRECTIONS:
Place water on for cooking pasta.  Cut chicken into medallions and toss into seasoned flour (drudge in flour).  Heat olive oil and 1/2 TBSP butter over med high heat.  Shake off excess flour and toss chicken in pan.  Let sit for about 5 minutes to get a nice brown crust on it, then turn it over.  Add in diced shallots and garlic and let cook for another minute, then add mushrooms, not mixing it yet so as to brown the other side of the chicken.  (Cook your pasta anytime after this.)  Cook until mushrooms are browning and tender.  Deglaze with a touch of wine if it is getting too brown or not enough moisture at any point (I added a touch before adding the mushrooms).
Add remaining wine and simmer gently for 4-5 minutes to finish cooking chicken.  Turn heat to med low and add cream and whisk.  Push chicken aside, sprinkle in cornstarch 1/2 TBSP at a time, whisking to incorporate.  Sprinkle in parm cheese and parsley, and cook over med- low heat, until slightly thickens.  Taste for seasoning (mine needed salt and pepper).  Add in cooked pasta.  Top with more Parmesan cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment