Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Hot Chocolate Cake With Marshmallow Frosting


This was one of my favorite cakes when I was growing up. I have even requested it for my birthday numerous times. I have been having a hankering for it the last week or so, and my parents were here so I figured, why not? This cake is really best the night it is made, so it was the right time. My kids all asked for seconds of the cake and this was one of the few instances that I allowed it. This cake is tender and crumbly, because you serve it right out of the oven. Then you top it with a cloud of gorgeous marshmallow frosting. The fluffy white icing is a 7 minute variety with 2 differences. One being it has more sugar which (ready for the big reveal?) makes it sweeter, and in my opinion better. I am not looking for a meringue here. I want sweet eats! The other difference is it has more cream of tartar, which helps stabilize the egg whites and adds a distinct flavor that I love. The same flavor snickerdoodles leave you with. Not all the sugar dissolves, which leave a bit of grit which might be off putting to some, but I again, love. If that bugs you, gently heat the egg whites, sugar and water over a double boiler until sugar is dissolved. Then beat the snot out of it. Up to you.

If you wanted to be fancy you cold torch or broil the top of the icing, but quite honestly, that is just too long for me to wait to eat the cake. Both of these recipes were from my grandmother, Elizabeth- "Bessie Mae", who loved to bake, and loved to eat baked goods, like no one else.

HOT CHOCOLATE CAKE

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup shortening or butter
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 1/4 cup flour
  • 1 tsp vinegar
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/3 cup boiling water
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder
DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 350Grease a 9x13 pan.  Cream together sugar, shortening (or butter), vanilla and eggs.  In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.  Put 1 tsp of vinegar into a cup of milk.  Add flour and milk to mixture.  Mix boiling water and cocoa powder to make a paste.  Add paste to creamed mixture and mix until well combined.  Pour into prepared pan and cook for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. 

 


MARSHMALLOW FROSTING (7 Minute Frosting)

INGREDIENTS:
  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1 tsp cream of tartar
  • 1/2 cup boiling water
  • 1 tsp vanilla

DIRECTIONS:

Working with a mixer, mix egg whites until frothy and doubled in size.  Stream in 1/2 the sugar, while mixing, then the boiling water.  (This will heat the egg whites and kill bacteria... I think).  While continuing to beat, add the cream of tartar and stream in the remaining sugar.  Mix until stiff peak forms and it is white, glossy and fluffy.  Add vanilla and beat until incorporated.    I make this while the cake is in the oven and serve it immediately over each piece of hot cake.  Store remaining frosting in the refrigerator.  

No comments:

Post a Comment