Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Chewy, Chunky Blondies



I promised to make a treat for our small group last week.  After being sick all day Tuesday and Wednesday, when Thursday rolled around, though I was feeling better, I wanted an easy but really yummy treat.  I made these bars once before and remembered how great they were and decided on making them.  This recipe is huge among food bloggers and there is a reason for it.  I changed 2 things... leaving out walnuts, because I don't like walnuts and don't like nuts in my cookies, and added 2 tsp of vanilla instead of one.
Let me say, they were a huge hit.  It was a "can't stop at one" kind of treat.  They were still warm when I brought them and we all know there is not much better in life than a warm cookie dessert.  Super easy and such a delicious treat!







CHEWY, CHUNKY BLONDIES
adapted from: Dorie Greenspan "Baking: From my home to yours"



INGREDIENTS:

  • 2 cups AP flour
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 sticks unsalted butter at room temp.
  • 1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
  • 1/2 sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 cup semisweet or bittersweet choc. chips or chunked chocolate
  • 1 cup butterscotch chips
  • 1 c. coconut
  • 1 c. chopped walnuts  (opt.)

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 325.  Butter 9x13 pan and put it on baking sheet.
Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
With the paddle attachment on stand mixer, beat butter on med. speed until smooth and creamy.  Add  both sugars and beat for 3 minutes.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating for one minute after each.  Beat in vanilla.  Reduce speed to low and add dry ingredients and mix until they just disappear into batter.  Use a rubber spatula and stir in chips and coconut (and nuts if you choose).  Scrape into prepared pan and smooth top.
Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until knife comes out clean.  Top will be nice honey brown color.  Cool for 15 minutes and can turn out onto rack to let cool.  I cut them up right in the pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment