Monday, February 14, 2011

King Arthur Flour Fudge Brownies



I am in search of the perfect brownie and I am picky.  I saw this recipe over on this website.  http://twopeasandtheirpod.com 
They looked delicious, but I must say I was disappointed.  I have decided I am not a fan of espresso powder in brownies.  I love coffee, but just not in my brownie.  I find they tasted more like mocha brownies...  the top was too crumbly and the chips I added melted because I was obviously impatient and didn't let it cool enough.  Now, they do have nice texture and are not by any means inedible.   They are still very good and my husband and kids devoured them. Just not the perfect brownie to me.
  I will post the original recipe, but I would make 2 changes. I would leave out the espresso powder and I would add salt, which I added none of because the recipe I printed didn't have it listed.  But upon looking at the original recipe from the original website, I found it had 1 tsp salt. So, maybe I will try them again with those changes. 
UPDATE:  Made them again and they were fabulous!  With the 2 changes from above, perhaps the perfect brownie.

KING ARTHUR FLOUR FUDGE BROWNIES

http://www.kingarthurflour.com

INGREDIENTS:

  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
  • 2 1/4 cups sugar
  • 1 1/4 cups Dutch-process cocoa
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 teaspoon espresso powder
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 2 cups chocolate chips


DIRECTIONS:

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9″ x 13″ pan and set aside.
In a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl, or in a saucepan set over low heat, melt the butter, then add the sugar and stir to combine. Return the mixture to the heat (or microwave) briefly, just until it’s hot (about 110°F to 120°F), but not bubbling; it’ll become shiny looking as you stir it. Heating this mixture a second time will dissolve more of the sugar, which will yield a shiny top crust on your brownies. Transfer the sugar mixture to a medium-sized mixing bowl.

Stir in the cocoa, baking powder, espresso powder, salt and vanilla. Whisk in the eggs, stirring until smooth. Add the flour and chocolate chips. Stir until smooth. Spoon the batter into prepared pans.  Bake the brownies for about 30 minutes, until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean, or with just a few moist crumbs clinging to it. The brownies should feel set on the edges, and the center should look very moist, but not uncooked. Remove them from the oven and cool on a rack before cutting and serving.

Makes 24 brownies

No comments:

Post a Comment