Thursday, February 3, 2011

Dark Chocolate Cupcakes



My neighbor had a birthday yesterday and of course, I used the excuse to make a dessert to bring over.  I was going to make a flour-less chocolate cake which has been beckoning me, but I did not have all the ingredients on hand, plus there was the problem of, "Happy Birthday, here is half a cake!"  Um... not so cool.  Anyway, I decided cupcakes would be perfect.  So I made some...  and may I say the batter is heavenly!!  As good as brownie batter.  I did reluctantly let my kids have a finger dip at the "empty" bowl, but I cleaned it out with a spatula and got my share as well!  YUM!  I love chocolate!  It really makes me happy. The cupcake is a rich, fudgy, moist cake with a nice crumble.

This is a recipe is adapted from America's Test Kitchen.  I love that show and everything I have made from there is great.  They recommend not doubling the recipe because you don't get a good rise on the cupcakes, but I did it and they still tasted great and seemed to rise just fine.  I don't have time to make 2 batches... I wanted 24 cupcakes, so I just doubled this recipe.  I only changed the salt, because they are a little too salty otherwise.  I used my grandmother's chocolate frosting which is the best.  Try and enjoy!



Dark Chocolate Cupcakes 
yields 12 

INGREDIENTS:
  •  1 stick butter cut up into pieces
  • 2 ounces bittersweet choc. chopped (I used bittersweet choc. chips)
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder
  • 3/4 c. AP unbleached flour
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 3/4 tsp. baking powder
  • 2 large eggs
  • 3/4 c. sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 c. sour cream
DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 350.  Line muffin cups with paper liners.

In double boiler, combine butter, cocoa powder and chopped choc.and heat until butter and choc. are melted.  Set aside to cool. 

In a small bowl combine flour and baking soda and powder.  Whisk together.

In a large bowl whisk eggs.  When choc. mixture is just warm to touch whisk it in with eggs.  Add 1/3 of flour mixture and whisk until combined.  Add sour cream and whisk until combined.  Add the rest of flour and whisk until batter is thick, scraping down bowl as necessary. 

Use ice cream scoop to put batter into liners.  Cook for 18-20 until toothpick comes out clean.  Cool until can take out of pan and cool another 30 minutes on wire rack before frosting.  Frost with buttercream or chocolate buttercream.

No comments:

Post a Comment