Monday, February 14, 2011

Poppy Seed Bread




 I have not made many quick breads lately, and was in the mood for some.  So, looking through my recipe book, I saw this and needed it!  This is such a delicious and moist bread.  The glaze seeps in a bit, not making it soggy, but just adding a zest and extra sweetness.  It is not the typical lemon poppyseed combination, but a buttery almond flavor that is just wonderful.  My kids love this bread, well... who am I kidding, it is more like a cake!  I would love to try this as a bundt cake and I am sure it would be great! Yes, the picture is only of half the loaf, because it got eaten before I could get the photo!
This original recipe is from my Aunt Mary, but is also around on other recipe websites.  Super easy and delish!


POPPY SEED BREAD

INGREDIENTS:

  • 3 c. AP flour (I substituted 1 whole wheat)
  • 1 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 1 1/8 c. canola oil (I substituted about 2/3c. drained applesauce, then did the rest oil, still great!)
  • 2 1/4 c. sugar
  • 1 1/2 TBSP poppy seeds (I used more like 2)
  • 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla
  • 1 1/2 tsp butter flavoring
  • 1 1/2 tsp pure almond extract
GLAZE:
  • 1/4 cup orange juice
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 tsp. almond extract
  • 1/2 tsp. butter flavoring
  • 1+ cup powdered sugar (add until creamy)
DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 350.  Grease and flour 2 bread pans or spray with "Baking" nonstick spray.  Whisk together dry ingredients.  Whisk together wet ingredients.  Whisk dry ingredients into wet ingredients and mix for 2-3 minutes.  Pour into prepared bread pans.  Bake for 45-60 minutes (mine in electric oven was about 50 min).

Remove from oven and prepare the glaze.  After 5 minutes remove bread from pans and place on foil or wire rack over cookie sheet.  Immediately, poke holes in top with a toothpick and spoon glaze over bread slowly, letting it absorb, until all the glaze is used.

No comments:

Post a Comment