I have not made many quick breads lately, and was in the mood for some. So, looking through my recipe book, I saw this and needed it! This is such a delicious and moist bread. The glaze seeps in a bit, not making it soggy, but just adding a zest and extra sweetness. It is not the typical lemon poppyseed combination, but a buttery almond flavor that is just wonderful. My kids love this bread, well... who am I kidding, it is more like a cake! I would love to try this as a bundt cake and I am sure it would be great! Yes, the picture is only of half the loaf, because it got eaten before I could get the photo!
This original recipe is from my Aunt Mary, but is also around on other recipe websites. Super easy and delish!
POPPY SEED BREAD
- 3 c. AP flour (I substituted 1 whole wheat)
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/8 c. canola oil (I substituted about 2/3c. drained applesauce, then did the rest oil, still great!)
- 2 1/4 c. sugar
- 1 1/2 TBSP poppy seeds (I used more like 2)
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla
- 1 1/2 tsp butter flavoring
- 1 1/2 tsp pure almond extract
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 1/2 tsp. butter flavoring
- 1+ cup powdered sugar (add until creamy)
Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour 2 bread pans or spray with "Baking" nonstick spray. Whisk together dry ingredients. Whisk together wet ingredients. Whisk dry ingredients into wet ingredients and mix for 2-3 minutes. Pour into prepared bread pans. Bake for 45-60 minutes (mine in electric oven was about 50 min).