Monday, February 14, 2011

Lightened Up Alfredo Sauce


I grew up on wonderful alfredo sauce.  My mom is a fabulous cook and I remember the stick of butter and heavy cream being mixed with cheese, parsley and garlic and being poured over the pasta.  I loved every bite.  Until I became aware of what I was eating.  Then, I felt guilty for every bite.  :-)

My cousin Michelle told me about yet another fabulous blog http://www.ourbestbites.com/ which had this wonderful sauce.   I added a few things, and because I like a very garlicy alfredo, I will add another 2 cloves of garlic next time.

I also pan fried 2 big chicken breasts in a drizzle of olive oil and tastefully simple's garlic garlic and some salt and pepper and diced it up over the top.

This was fantastic!  Could not tell it was not the real stuff.  The chicken on top put it over the top.  This sauce would be great to dip bread sticks in, or pizza crust.  YUM!  Try this sauce!  You will be so happy you did!

LIGHTENED UP ALFREDO SAUCE (with Chicken)
by: our best bites


INGREDIENTS:



  • 2 C low-fat milk
  • 1/3 C (3 oz) low fat cream cheese, softened
  • 2 TBSP flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 TBSP butter
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 C grated Parmesan cheese
  • Handful fresh parsley-chopped fine
  • fresh grated nutmeg



DIRECTIONS:


Mix flour, milk and  softened cream cheese in blender or whisk together (if whisking make sure cream cheese is very soft).  

In saucepan, melt butter and saute garlic over med-high heat for about 30 seconds, until bubbly.  (heavenly smell!)  Whisk in milk mixture and let cook for 3-4 minutes, until thickened and starting to simmer.


Turn off heat and add parm cheese.  Sprinkle in parsley and a few grates of fresh grated nutmeg and whisk.  Cover and let sit for 10 minutes.  It will thicken upon standing.  Pour over pasta.   Enjoy!


Note:  Will solidify in fridge.  With leftovers, just heat and then add a little milk to thin if necessary. 



No comments:

Post a Comment