Thursday, February 3, 2011

Gramma's Chocolate Frosting



This recipe is from my Grandma on my dad's side, and is my go to frosting.  I learned by watching her make it and honestly, this is the first time I measured anything.   She used a big spoon and just dumped things in.  This makes a generous amount of frosting and I can remember my Grandpa taking the leftovers and sandwiching it between 2 graham cracker squares.  He would put it in tupperware and in half a day the crackers were softened and it was my favorite "cookie" ever! She passed away about 13 years ago, but her frosting lives on!
It was a little tricky, but I think with these measurements you should get a great frosting.  I leave out the egg normally, but this is her true recipe and the egg does add a lightness.  If you are nervous about the raw egg, leave it out and just add a little more sour milk.  Enjoy!



GRAMMA'S CHOCOLATE FROSTING


INGREDIENTS:


  • 3/4 c. cocoa powder
  • 6-7 c. powdered sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 stick of softened butter
  • 2/3 cup crisco
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 c. (more or less) of sour milk (cook milk in small saucepan until hot)


DIRECTIONS:

In Mixer bowl, with whisk attachment, combine crisco and butter.  Add cocoa powder and sugar and mix on low.  Add egg and a little milk at a time.  When about half the milk is in, turn up to high speed and add vanilla and stream in milk a little at a time until is light brown and well incorporated.  Mix for 2-3 minutes scraping down bowl as necessary.  When done, remove and scrape bottom of bowl and sides to make sure all in incorporated.

Frost!

No comments:

Post a Comment